First of all, welcome! We are so glad you are joining us in Sacramento for the Slayage Conference. We want to provide you with a little information and advice that we think will make your experience a positive one:
- We're on a first-name basis here. Don't worry about addressing people by titles such as "Professor" or "Dr," "Ms." or "Mr." We’ve also added a line for pronouns to each name badge.
- We encourage you to bring a friend with you and/or find another conference-goer to room with. And use the conference accommodations. Not only will you save money by rooming with another person or a group of people, but you'll also have a built-in group to spend time with in, between, and after sessions. Staying in the conference accommodations also guarantees that you'll run into other Whedon enthusiasts in hallways and lobbies, facilitating both networking and friend-making.
- Be sure to come to the Thursday evening opening reception. This complimentary event is an informal and lighthearted way to begin meeting new people. We plan to have something special for first-time conferees at the reception.
- Consider attending the Friday evening banquet ($35). It's a delightful time comprised of fine dining, stimulating conversation, and a boisterous sing-along rendition of Buffy's "Once More, with Feeling."
- Certainly plan to join in the Saturday evening festivities which will include a silent auction to support student travel awards and a Can't Stop the Serenity screening to raise funds for Equality Now.
- Feel free to ask questions at any point about anything. Look for the program chairs, local arrangements chairs, and roving superchairs as well as the WSA officers. Any of these people will be happy to assist you.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the accessibility of the campus and/or conference presentations and events, please contact us as soon as possible. Our goal is to universally design the conference, making it accessible for and enjoyable by all conferees.